Scott Hall was built in 1940 as a nexus for campus social activity. In the late 1990s, Hoerr Schaudt was contacted by an alumna of Northwestern University interested in improving the main entrance of the building. Hoerr Schaudt designed an intimate garden area that draws on and enhances the Gothic style of the gray Lannon-stone building. Stone seat-walls, flowering trees, and a combination of perennials and shrubs offer those attending the Hall's theater a natural place to meet before and after performances. Low sidewalk planters buffer the noise of the street and increase the appeal of the building.